Luxury Hotel and Golf on Islay – The Machrie Hotel and Golf Links
Set in the dunes of Islay, Queen of the Hebrides, The Machrie Hotel & Golf Links enjoys an enviable location, nestled beside seven miles of pristine beach in the Inner Hebrides.
Opened in late Summer 2018 after a complete renovation and expansion, The Machrie Hotel features 47 beautifully designed rooms, suites and lodges, some with their own outdoor terraces and stunning views across the Links.
The hotel offers guests the perfect place to meet and relax including, 18, our impressive restaurant with panoramic views of the Links and PureGray, our spa.
Our Links course was originally designed in 1891 by Willie Campbell, and has now been fully modernised by D J Russell, former European Ryder Cup Vice Captain and PGA tour player.
The dramatic setting of Laggan Bay has few equals and the ever changing nature of the challenge offered by this acclaimed layout make The Machrie’s Links one to play.
The scenery, the wildlife, the coastline, one of the finest Links courses in the world, coupled with the people, makes The Machrie the perfect spot from which to explore the Isles of Scotland’s west coast.et in the dunes of Islay, Queen of the Hebrides, The Machrie Hotel & Golf Links enjoys an enviable location, nestled beside seven miles of pristine beach in the Inner Hebrides.
As well as enjoying a round of golf, Islay is well known for the smoky malts distilled on the island. Make sure you find time during your stay to visit one or two of these distilleries and enjoy a wee dram to see for yourself the charactieristics of the famous Islay whisky.
Islay boasts 9 distilleries, so make sure you add a visit to at least one during your time on Islay!
- Laphroaig Distillery, (5.5 miles) located near Port Ellen Ferry Terminal
- Ardbeg Distillery, (7 miles) located further along the coast from Port Ellen
- Lagavulin Distillery, (6 miles) in between Laphroaig and Ardbeg distilleries
- Islay’s first recorded distillery, Bowmore Distillery, (8 miles) north of the hotel
- Bruichladdich Distillery, (15 miles) located near Port Charlotte
- Caol Ila, (18 miles) in the north east of the island
- Bunnahabhain, (21 miles) also located in the north east of the island
- Ardnahoe, (19 miles) Islay’s newest distillery opening this year between Bunnahabhain and Caol Ila
- One of the smallest distilleries in Scotland, Kilchoman Distillery (16 miles) also located near Port Charlotte
- Enjoy Fly Fishing at Fly Fish Islay, based in Bowmore, perched right on the shores of Loch Indaal.
The Machrie Hotel, Islay, is also close to The Oa Peninsula and Nature Reserve, and is well located for exploring the local crafts at Persabus Pottery, Islay Woollen Mill and Islay Quilters.
Want to stay with us?
Want to hear more?